After spending some time in several different gyms, I have to address gym etiquette.
1. When you workout you sweat, right? The sweat usually trickles off your body and lands on whatever machine you’re using. Be sure to take a couple of seconds to wipe down the machine.
2. Unload your weights and put them back where you found them! Why is this concept so hard for some to grasp? On another note, I wonder what your house looks like…
3. After you’re done your set and you’re resting on the machine, share it. I’m in a groove and I hate to wait on a machine so at least be nice and let me hop in and get my sets done in between yours. What’s the big deal? I’ll even make sure to reset the weight to what you had it at before, and I’ll wipe the machine down. See how nice I am and how that works out so well?
4. I just tripped over your big, bulky gym bag sitting in the middle of the gym floor. Why don’t you store it in the locker room during your workout session or put it in a corner of the gym where it’s out of the way? I hate having to move a stranger’s belongings so I can continue my workout.
5. There’s a time and a place to be social and the gym floor is not one of them – at least not for me anyway. My headphones are in, my pre-workout energy drink is in full effect, and I’m in my zone. If you catch me before or after, talk all you want!
6. If you have a water bottle you need to fill up while others are waiting to get a drink – wait! Or you could fill it up in a sink.
7. If you really need to take a phone call, step in the locker room or go outside. Personally, I’m fine with people using their headphones with a built-in microphone to take their calls so long as they continue working out and moving instead of just standing there and taking up space while chatting. However, if it’s a loud talker, take it elsewhere.
8. Be courteous of others in the bathroom. You are sharing it, after all. Take shorter showers than you would at home, be quicker in front of the mirror or with the blow dryer, and share the bench area with others. Don’t leave all your crap sprawled out. If you can’t comply with this, then go home and get ready there instead.
Do you have other items to add to this list? Share them with me in the comment engine below!