Which way to the gun show?!
This month’s “30 minute workout” will focus on the biceps. However, no muscle works in isolation, so while all of these exercises will integrate the biceps, this is not your typical isolated biceps workout.”Relatively” isolated biceps exercises are intermixed with various other exercises that incorporate the bicepsinto larger movement patterns. Disclaimer…for this workout you’ll need a gym membership…sorry! I suggest you find a place in the gym where you can set up this circuit.
Follow this circuit, performing each exercise in order. After completing one set of each exercise, take a 30 second rest, then we’ll repeat it two more times (taking another 30 second rest after the 2nd set), modifying as suggested or as you are able.
- 1st set: perform 10 pull-ups with your arms out slightly wider than shoulder width apart and your palms facing away from you (pronated grip). Use a pull-up machine with a weight-stack for assistance if you need it (see picture).
- 2nd set: perform 10 pull-ups with your arms about shoulder width apart and your palms facing you (supinated grip). This grip REALLY targets the biceps!
- 3rd set: perform 10 pull-ups with your arms shoulder width apart and palms facing each other (neutral grip). If your pullup bar does not have this option, perform 2nd set variation again.
Biceps Curls - Use dumbbells of sufficient weight to challenge you. You should be very tired after 10 repetitions.
- 1st set: hold dumbells in each arm. Alternate curls in standing, 10 repetitions each side, without swinging from your legs or low back to create momentum.
- 2nd set: alternate curls, 10 repetitions each arm, while standing on your right leg (emphasizes balance and decreases your ability to compensate by creating momentum).
- 3rd set: alternate curls while standing on your left leg.
- 1st – 3rd set: use a flat bench. Kneel on the bench with your left knee, and rest your left hand on top of the bench. Keep your right leg straight and on the ground. Hold the dumbell in your right hand. Make sure your back is in a neutral, un-weighted position. Pull the dumbell up until it touches your side. Slowly lower dumbell back to the floor. Perform 10 repetitions with each arm.
Machine Row - There are a variety of machines, such as the one in the picture below, that you can utilize for this exercise.
- 1st – 3rd set: perform 10 repetitions of rows, keeping your shoulders relaxed and elbows in towards your side as you pull back. Focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together.
Reverse Biceps Curls - Use a barbell with sufficient weight to challenge you. You should be tired after 10 repetitions.
- 1st-3rd set: perform 10 curls. Your hands should be shoulder width apart, and holding the bar with palms facing down (reverse/pronated grip). Curl up, keeping the elbows in against the sides, without swinging from your legs or low back to create momentum.
If you get done before 30 minutes, great! Do another set!
Remember to go at your own pace. This workout is designed to target the biceps while incorporating the shoulders and upper/mid back. Modifications can and should be made to accomodate your specific needs. Times can be decreased or increased, positions can be modified, repetitions can be increased or decreased, etc…
Have a great workout!