For my rest days, I try to go low or pretty much no carbs. But just because I can’t eat carbs doesn’t mean I can’t satisfy myself with some delicious foods that fits into my daily macronutrient requirements!
One of my more favorite things to cook and eat is Rib Eye Steak. Why? It’s meaty, delicious, satisfying, and has a good amount of protein.
Here’s how I cook the steak:
- 1 Rib eye steak (~300g)
- ~1 tbsp Olive oil
- Dry seasoning (whatever the heck you want. e.g. salt, pepper, herbs, garlic salt, rosemary, cayenne peppers, chile flakes, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 450F. Put empty pan (even better if you use a iron cast skillet) on stove on high heat.
- While waiting for pan to get hot, take steak out of packaging.
- Lightly drizzle top side of steak with olive oil, then season with dry seasoning.
- As soon as the pan gets hot enough for searing, throw the steak onto the pan seasoning face down.
- Lightly drizzle the top (unseasoned) side of the steak with olive oil, then season with dry seasoning.
- Wait for about 2 minutes. Flip steak and immediate put the pan into the oven.
- Take pan out after 4 minutes for medium rare or 6 minutes for medium.
- (bonus) Eat with leafy greens and green tea (I’ll explain why in a later article).
The raw 300g steak should yield something like 240g steak after being cooked. Here are the macronutrients of the cooked steak + the olive oil (keep in mind, you don’t eat all of the oil since lots of it will be in the pan):
- Calories: 736
- Protein: 63g
- Carb: 0g
- Fat: 54g
- PCF Ratio: ~50/0/50